Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fashion and Reflection

The greatest barrier to "fashioning" a better educational environment and improving our way of teaching is our own reluctance to change. We become set in our ways. It's a cliche, I know, but it's also true. Like the woman in the "What Not To Wear" episode, we want to hold on to those old, often ugly, clothes because we're comfortable in them, or because they have some sentimental significance. Sometimes we don't even see how outdated we are or how badly fashioned our teaching style has become. I was in a classroom recently that looked like a flash back to the sixties. This teacher has been teaching for nearly thirty years. It seems to me, either this teacher should get a makeover or get out (retire) and give the wheel to someone with some fresh vision. I am a firm believer in self-reflection. Not occasional reflection, but constant, consistent reflection. Every time we teach, we should be evaluating, asking ourselves: did this work?, not: this worked twenty years ago, so surely it will work today. The students we are working with are very different than the students of twenty years ago. Technology has made the world a different place to live. My kids laugh when I tell them we didn't have cell phones or even "cordless" phones when I was growing up. We must be willing to grow and change through time, to fashion something better everyday.

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I was thinking about fashion and education relating. I have worked with so many math teachers who sit at an overhead all day giving examples, and then assign kids # 1-60 even and call it good. I am constantly trying to find ways to make learning more fun,and incorporate technology into my math class. However, at the end of the year (testing is HUGE in North Carolina), End of Grade test scores seem to be about the same, no matter which style of teaching was used. So does this make one better than the other? Is it better simply because kids enjoy it more? I am going to go with yes and keep doing what I am doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that fashion by nature stands on the other side of unchanging. You are not the only one who saw other teachers have been teaching in the same way for decades. It is said that teachers tend to teach in the way that they have been taught. On the other hand, we are supposed to teach towards the future since our kids/learners probably will be out of school and work in another 10 years. It is like we are wearing the same outfit as people in the 70s and 80s did! How outdated is that?

    Gaoming

    ReplyDelete