Friday, March 27, 2009

fashion as a means

I've been reflecting on this idea of "fashion". Fashion as the way we present ourselves to others. Fashion as the outward appearance that either attracts or repels. Fashion as a reflection of self image. Fashion as the way we want others to see us. Fashion as a means of taking what's good in us and making it better. Because you can't make something out of nothing, the basic beauty or aesthetic quality must be there to begin with. We simply use make-up and haircuts and knowledge about skin tones when choosing wardrobes as tools to enhance the inherent.

I have seen this use of "fashion" in education. A perfect example is children's literature. When I was learning to read, we read "See Dick run. See Jane hop. See spot jump." Neither the language nor the illustrations were the least bit flashy. They certainly were not designed to appeal to one's sense of aesthetics. Today, children's books are sophisticated. Both the language and the illustrations are clearly intended to attract attention. And the book's covers are made to entice consumers to buy. I believe it is meant, on the part of the publishers, to aid in turning a bigger profit, but also to make kids want to read more. And they do. Want to read more. These books also appeal to me as a teacher and as a parent. I have enjoyed reading these beautiful books to my students and to my own children.

Fashion as a means of making reading attractive.

2 comments:

  1. Kasey, you made me smile. I read those "Dick and Jane," books. My brother bought me a big book written about those books and at first I thought, "yuck," but it is interesting and it brings back memories.

    The books today are amazing. The illustrations are so aesthetically attractive. I have often bought a book simply because of the pictures. Children are always drawn to these books and rightfully so. The difference that I have really noticed from the past is that in the past ethnicity was represented simply with a shade of brown on the same facial features. Now you can find books representing people of all ethnicity in a realistic form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point about books also being fashionable. As a middle school math teacher, the thing I miss most is great children's literature. There is so much stuff out there that just draws kids in. It would be nice if textbooks and classroom materials could be somehow made just as great!

    ReplyDelete